Friday, January 29, 2010

GD Education

Today was my introduction into gestational diabetes and it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. I think the worst part of the whole experience was dealing with the insurance BS. Yesterday, I made several phone calls between the Diabetes Education Center and my OB's office to make sure EVERYTHING was squared away. Because if I am going to take a day off from work then this class needs to happen.

Anticipating an issue I arrived about 20mins early. When I got to the desk they said, "We have a problem we never got your referral and we don't have your authorization." WTH!?! This is why I made all those phone calls yesterday. Luckily the ladies were very nice and called my OB's office and arrange everything for me. This was only after a few frustrated hormonal pregnant women tears.

The class was a great learning experience for me about how food affects your blood sugar and how just a few simple food changes can keep GD under control. They also gave me a food plan based on me pre-pregnancy weight. It is actually really easy because they map out my 3 small meals and my 3 snacks. I am actually looking forward to going to the grocery store tomorrow to pick out some great food choices.

The biggest changes come with breakfast and of course giving up my one Pepsi a day. For breakfast I am suppose to avoid all fruit and cereal. I LOVE fruit and cereal, it is like breakfast staple. Also I have to give up orange juice, well just for a few weeks.

To finish off my day I went and saw my OB for a BP check. It was a good appointment because my blood sugar was good, my BP ok, and Ant's heart beat was awesome. The only thing she is concerned about is because my BP has been slowly rising through out my pregnancy and she is concerned it is the early signs of preeclampsia. I really don't have any other symptoms but she just wants to make sure we keep everything under control. It feels great to know that my OB is really keeping an eye on everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment